On March 23, 2020 CMS released guidance to state survey agencies further prioritizing and suspending most federal and state surveys and delaying revisit surveys for the next three weeks beginning March 20.
CMS has released this survey tool to review infection prevention and control practices. Providers are encouraged to perform a self-assessment utilizing this same tool. Surveyors will review for:
- Overall effectiveness of the Infection Prevention and Control Program (IPCP) including policies and procedures
- Standard and transmission-based precautions (with the understanding that certain essential supplies are scarce, and facilities should not be penalized for not having certain supplies if they are unable to obtain them)
- Quality of resident care practices, including those with COVID-19 (laboratory-positive cases), if applicable
- Surveillance plan
- Visitor entry and facility screening practices
- Education, monitoring and screening practices of staff
- Facility policies and procedures to address staffing issues during emergencies, such as transmission of COVID-19
Click here for the Survey Prioritization Fact Sheet.